Wednesday 7 September 2016

Muir Trail Ranch

After crossing Selden pass, and seeing that I had escaped the ominous rain cloud, I decided to see if I could push to Muir Trail Ranch (MTR) which would make for a twenty mile day.

I had met a guy after Silver Pass who was thinking about returning home early. He offered me his "ticket" to pick up a resupply package at MTR. I wasn't running too low on food, but I definitely underestimated the amount of snacks I'd want to eat throughout the day. I was excited to see what he had packed!

I didn't send a resupply package to Muir Trail Ranch because you had to send it three weeks in advance, and it's cost an additional $70 to ship and send. Due to the remote location, all packages had to be placed in 5 gallon buckets with very specific packing instructions because they had to be brought in using pack animals.

After popping 2 Ibuprofens and using up the last of my muscle rub on the switchbacks down to the ranch, I collapsed about 100 feet from the trail junction without knowing how close I was- totally unable to take another step. As I rested and drank the last of my water, a family of deer appeared and seemed indifferent to grazing so close to me. I sat still and quiet and watched them.

After rehydrating and a little rest I got up and walked for about one minute before seeing the sign for the ranch.

Unfortunately, I missed getting to pick up the bucket by a half hour; it was 5:30 and they closed at 5:00. Knowing I couldn't have possible walked any faster I went and set up my tent at the backpackers campsite.

I had met a guy at Reds Meadows travelling north and he gave me the beta about some secret hot springs in a field nearby. There were public hot springs that everyone knew about, but apparently there were some private pools about 100 meters from the busy, often muddy ones most people sat around in.

It was getting late by the time I got organized and motivated enough to cross the river and find the springs. Unable to convince any other hikers to come with me, I set out thinking it might be an anti climatic mission.

To my surprise, most people in the muddy pool knew about the other pools and pointed me in the general direction. I found one easily and got to rest every aching muscle and joint in my body while watching the sun set and the stars come out in my own private pool. It was spectacular. I couldn't help but hum the a Tragically Hip's "Bobcageon" and send some love to Gord Downie as I watched the stars "reveal themselves one star at a time."

I woke up he next morning feeling 100 percent rested, and ravenously hungry. I couldn't wait until 8:30 to pick up my bucket and see what was inside!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment