Friday 19 August 2016

Shelter Cove Resort to Crescent Spring Campground

Distance: 15.5 miles
I got a ride to the trailhead from a really nice couple on their way to Portland. The guy was a web developer and we exchanged stories about the ups and downs of working in a creative business that's highly time sensitive. He told me to check out http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell. Which is really funny and so true! You can check out his other comics at http://theoatmeal.com/comics. (Sorry I can't link these to the pages at the moment). Anyways, after a few laughs and good conversation we reached the trailhead to Summit Lake and I got out feeling like meeting them was a great way to start the day.



I took a classic selfie of "Day 1" but soon realized I should have a full 3 liters of water before attempting the 17 mile stretch. It was already 30 degrees and just before 11am. As I started walking down the road towards the Shelter Bay Resort, a man stopped and asked me if I wanted a lift. I asked how far it was and he said about 2 miles so I gladly hopped in -wanting to get back to the trailhead ASAP. He ended up being the resort Manager and told me the PCT hikers generate a lot of business and he was happy to have them around.



As I was filling up my water bottles, I saw the tent where all the hikers were hanging out. Although I was a bit shy and felt the need to rush back, I decided to go over and chat for a minute and I'm so glad I did! They were eager to share their knowledge, especially since I was going south through the section they had just completed. They were super excited that this was my first day, since they had all been on the trail for nearly 4 months. They suggested I take the Oregon Skyline trail because it was a bit shorter and had more water. I was thankful for their advice and asked them if they had any more tips for me. Here are their words of wisdom:

•Keep your head up and eyes peeled for signage.
•Enjoy - because this is your holiday.
•Eat before you get hungry.
•Listen to your body. Take rest days.
•"Camel up!" Which means drink as much water as you can when you get to a water source so you don't have to carry as much weight along the trail.



I thanked them for their advice, signed the registry book, and they clapped and cheered me out of the parking lot! I was on my way, only to realize there really are no beginnings and endings, no first steps, no finish lines. There is just a constant state of becoming.



After 15 miles of a pretty moderate decline along the trail I reached Crescent Lake. Since I got a late start I thought I'd just get more water and keep going, but once I got to the lake I couldn't resist going for a swim. I sat on the shore and relaxed in the sun. When I brought myself to start going again, it was almost 5pm and the bugs were getting bad so I decided to find the campground on the map and call it a day. The trails were poorly marked on this section of trail and I was worried if the whole PCT was like this it could take me quite a while to navigate the sections I wanted to do. Luckily, after a couple backtracks I found the campsite and met a couple other hikers who also had a tough time finding the site. The problem was that it was labeled "Crescent Lake" instead of Crescent Spring on the map - but once I got there it was totally worth the extra steps.


I settled in, ate my dinner on the beach, hung my food (which would have been kind of a funny movie clip because the trees are mostly skinny pines with no branches big enough to hold the weight of a food bag), and collapsed into my tent. A perfect day.









No comments:

Post a Comment