Tuesday 23 August 2016

Trail Magic: Mazama Village to Ashland with Sarah

"Start to view everything that happens in your life as potentially the best thing that has ever happened to you."
Carolyn Myss


After soaking in all the sun and moonlight I could at Crater Lake I was feeling recharged and energized. I refused to worry about how my blisters would impact the rest of my trip but did accept that carrying on all the way to Ashland could cause potential long term damage. The possibility of infection was high because I had used everything in my first aid kit, and the trail was going to remain sandy and temps were going to stay above 100 degrees for the rest of the week. I knew the next section was dry, and did not have as much to offer in terms of scenery and decided I was okay with ending my first section on a high note. I also felt the magic of Crater Lake wear off once I got to Mazama Village and saw some very unhappy campers, and haggard hikers hanging around the store.

It was Friday morning. Ryan had shipped my old shoes to Ashland priority post and I was determined to get there before it closed - and this is where the most amazing turn of events unfolded.


Unable to walk, and in the middle of nowhere with no public transit, I knew I would have to hitchhike. It's not something I would normally do, but I decided to give myself until 1:30 to get picked up since this would be the latest time that would allow me to get the package before the post office closed for the weekend. If I couldn't get a good ride before then, I would walk back to Mazama Village, get more water, and then find a place to camp along the trail a little further south and let my blisters dry out over the weekend.


I waited for about 1.5 hours in the heat of the day. The asphalt was so hot it felt like it was burning the soles of my already tender feet. Only five cars passed me and no one stopped. Finally a group of SOBO hikers walked by and told me my ASHLAND sign was so small they could hardly ready it. I decided to give up on the sign, held out my thumb, and when I could see the next car in the distance I gently whispered, "I'm a good person." To my delight the car pulled over.

The driver's name was Sarah and she was on her way to an International Women's Forum conference in Ashland.
   

She said she picked me up because she had just hitchhiked a week before to complete a shuttle after rafting the Salmon River in Idaho and knew how it felt.


We had a great drive. She was an amazing woman who had climbed, hiked and skied all over the United States and the world. The drive went by quickly and I was enjoying the air conditioning while looking at the thermostat reading 107 degrees outside.


Sarah took me right to the post office in time to pick up the package. Ashland is a major PCT hub and there were hikers everywhere mailing and packing boxes full of food and supplies. I was disgusted that I smelled just as bad as them, and had probably been on a trail for a lot less time!



Unfortunately, when I showed the woman at the desk my tracking number, the package was being held in Medford, one town back towards where we had come from. She assured me it would arrive Saturday and even though the post office was closed, I could pick it up at the back door.

Sarah then told me a bit about her weekend itinerary and mentioned she would see if her hotel room had an extra bed, and if so, I could stay with her. In the meantime she wanted to take me out for lunch before she met up with some of the other ladies.


We chatted about resort town politics in her hometown of Sun Valley Idaho, and Revelstoke. I had a delicious crispy chicken salad and we shared a burger. I thought my luck could not get any better.

But it did!....



I ended up staying with Sarah for the weekend in a beautiful hotel and picked up my package on Saturday after taking in the sights at the farmers market. Everything was so pleasant and everyone was so friendly. Sarah also lent me her car so I could get around and run some errands to help me get ready for the Yosemite portion of the trip.


This is when I realized that although I was sharing the trail with hundreds of other hikers, I was on my own path.


The generosity and trust Sarah had in me is unbelievable. So many things could have gone wrong: I could have been crazy, she could have been crazy, I could have been a snorer and kept her up all night, the list is endless, but in the end, I think this was a lesson in trusting your guts and opening your heart.


I have so many fond memories of my time in Ashland.

Here is Sarah hiking with pack llamas in Idaho. How cool is this!

This is a beautiful mural in Lithia Park, Ashland near the craft market. I love the colours.

An International Womens Forum in Ashland, and me having blisters is how I crossed paths with Sarah.

More trail magic and love at the Standing Stone Brewing Company from my server Mr. Furious, a PCT alumni. He not only comped my meal, but gave me some great resupply beta for the Sierra Section.
I found this stone with the exact colours from my Crater lake photos and had to buy it. The jeweler was a bit surprised because it was unfinished but he agree to sell it to me anyway. Luckily, it's not too heavy so I will have it with me for the rest of the hike.
If it hadn't been for Ryan sending me my shoes, none of this would have happened!

Beautiful tomato display at the farmers market.

Eating a super juicy peach at the market. It was so hot all my photos look hazy. You could actually see the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment